Thursday, May 14, 2009

Simple Smiles 2- A Good Book



“Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.”
-Joseph Addison

I think that quote says it best. We exercise our bodies in order to get stronger, energized and more in control. When you read a good book you doing the exact same things, but for your mind. Just like when you workout and get all your muscles moving, you get the brain to function in different ways also.
Why else would I be a dorky English major if I didn’t love to read? I don’t think I would be able to handle it if I didn’t find some passion in it.
I can already hear the excuses for not reading, “it’s boring” “I don’t have time” and a typical, “I hate reading.” Well then you aren’t reading what’s interesting to you! I know books are assigned in school, but outside of those readings you have to read what you enjoy in order to make the experience more worthwhile. If you find a book that you actually liked you would fly through it and make time for it. It doesn’t matter if it’s fiction, non fiction, cosmo magazine, biographies, sci fi, celebrity gossip, whatever! Just read something!
Reading helps to relieve stress, entertain you, let you escape from the commotion of everyday life into a fantasy, stimulates your brain, improves your vocabulary, improves your memory and your creativity, and teaches you life lessons.


Here are some that I’d like to recommend-

The Jessica Darling Series- Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Forth Comings, Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

The Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling

Angels & Demons
by Dan Brown

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Path

The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment