Monday, October 18, 2010

Balancing School, Work, Family & Owning Your Own Business

I’ve gotten this question many, many times & as more and more students (and people with multiple jobs) join my team (which EXCITES me!!) I want to explain how I balanced being a full-time student, having a part-time job and owning my own online fitness business (Beachbody).

(If you aren’t a student you can still use these guidelines for work or taking care of your kids, etc.)





First thing I did was invest in a DAY PLANNER. I had to have everything in one central spot so I could easily flip through it. This eliminates the PANIC that comes from having things on many pieces of paper.

Then after the first couple days of classes I’d sit down with my syllabi and put everything into the planner:

-Homework
-Test
-Quizzes
-Papers
-Midterms/Final exams

Not only did I put that information on the specific days but I’d include the TIME of each class,”ENG 270 1-2:47 – Paper 1 Due.”

The same idea went for:

-Going to work
-Teaching Turbo Kick
-After school clubs
-Hanging out with friends & family
-Workouts (which one's & when)
-Beachbody

When it came to Beachbody I would write down SPECIFICS too!

-I would plan the TIME OF DAY when I would be working on my business
-I’d also plan what I’d be DOING.

What that means is I would make a list (on a separate sheet of paper) of where I’d spend my time:

-Facebook – what will I be doing? Expanding my network, replying to e-mails, etc.
-2 expos
-Send my weekly email
-Make a YouTube video
-Listen to the team calls (recorded or live)
-Read 15 minutes of personal development books

You get the picture.

Don’t make excuses for not getting your homework done, doing your daily reading or not working on your business. You're only hurting yourself.

I don’t always have a set schedule (other than classes), so the days CHANGE, and that’s okay, just figure it out and PLAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment